Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day weekend was wonderful for the main fact that my husband was home!!! It was so wonderful to have him here and have another adult to talk to! :) Talked to Veronica yesterday and she had a wonderful birthday!! Next is Jack's birthday!!

Those of us following the 'camping' experience, I told Jeremy of the idea and vision for our retreat, and he LOVED the idea!! He is even willing to sleep in a tent outside and be our personal chef if we want! I told him that would be awesome, but he is not invited to hang out with us---he was totally ok with that!

On Saturday and Sunday we ended up planting what veggies we do have starts for in the garden: onions; tomatoes; lettuce; peppers. Then we went to Home Depot and I got 2 lavender plants and several varieties of pretty flowers. Don't ask me what kind they are, but they are orange, yellow, purple and a fun looking red one. While Jeremy was digging making new garden rows, I decided to go outside the front door and work on reclaiming the front dirt area from weeds. Normally I HATE pulling weeds--I mean you pull and pull and pull, turn around and you didn't even TOUCH the area you are working on! I decided to take my litttle shovel and draw a square in the dirt and only work on that section before moving onto the next. Then I realized why gardening is used as an analogy with the ways of God. Pulling weeds is hard and there is so many of them. But, like sin and the quest of making us more God-like, Jesus works on a small section of our life and pulls until it is clean. As weeds grow back in our life, He is patient to go back and pull again. Painful, stressful, annoying (there are a lot of little bugs in the air to discourage us from the task at hand)--yet in the end satisfying and beautiful! Lord, please give me peace and pleasure as I'm working in my garden; knowing that you are working on Yours............

5 comments:

  1. Spending the weekend gardening and weeding sounds so relaxing right now. I'm getting jealous of the pace of life at Camp Omak! I can't see us living there right now, but maybe someday...

    It's so fun that Jeremy is all in favor of Camp Omak for Girls. I am loving this idea more and more and more. And it's great that Jeremy was able to get back to spend some actual time with you guys. It must be exhausting to go back and forth so much for him and to be doing life out there by yourself (as the grown up). Keep up the great bits of like on Simkins Farm. I'm living vicariously!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so good for him physically and mentally to be home for awhile. The constant traveling and being away from home for most of the last 3 weeks has been very tiring for him. It's been hard on me too, but mine is, as you say, just simply being the only grown up. I have a routine with the farm chores (out of necessity) and that really helps. It is all very simple. I have to be in the garden for a lttle bit at a time since I tend to get bit by everything. With each of these bites I tend to swell up and each biting point. Very pretty--NOT! Thank goodness for Zyrtec and LOTs of Benedryl cream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't the bugs know that the plants are food and not YOU?! Too bad you can't put up a scarecrow version of yourself to scare the bugs off, or at least be a different target!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, feel like tackling the messy jungle that are otherwise known as my front flower beds? Just kidding!!

    Dave mentioned that we may be staying longer then a few days when we head over for Jack's party. Apparently Jeremy has a job that Dave will be helping with? That should be fun, for us anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delightful day you had in the garden Darla. I love your analogy about weeds and the Lord working on our sin. That is so very true. There are so many weeds! I am thankful God is persistant and faithful to complete the good work He has begun in each one of us.
    Love, Marnie

    ReplyDelete